Has this ever happened to you?
I got to the school a few minutes early to pick up my kids so I found a spot out of the wind and waited against the wall. Within minutes a group of strange moms surrounded me and commenced their daily visitation. I was right in the middle, standing there, thinking, "do I move? clearly I'm in their way... I was here first, why don't they move away from me?" What's worse is that I was determined not to make eye contact-- so there I stood, all six feet of me, trying to be invisible.
The best part? The conversation. A little background... it's no secret that we go to the ghetto school of Castle Rock. We embrace the diversity. The hardest part for me is not the kids, it's the parents. And really it's only one type of parent that gets me, the white trash parent. So when I say I was inadvertently standing in the midst of some moms, I should say I was standing in the midst of some of these kind of trashy parents. Topics of conversation included:
Getting hemorrhoids from sitting on a cold bench...(is that real? I've never heard that)
Getting a new perm (remember perms?)
Losing yet another job (this story was filled with expletives)...
Needing a smoke
Not having any money for rent but in the same breath talking about getting her nails done that day
Who will be at the bar later
And yes, I stood there and I judged.
Imagine my relief when I spied Kitty's class coming out just a tad early.
2 comments:
crap. does that mean people are still getting perms? Next time, not only stay, but bring a camera. this post would be even better with pics!
I have never heard of a cold bench causing hemorrhoids. Although I guess if you were sitting on a cold bench and performed certain maneuvers at the same time - that might cause a hemorrhoids to form....hmmm. Maybe they were telling the truth all along?
Post a Comment