Saturday, September 24, 2011

14 Reasons for my low self-esteem

So my face is starting to resemble the rugged, weathered look of Paul Hogan.  It is enough to drive me to distraction.  Really. Distraction. While I am driving.  The rear-view mirror has a way of highlighting my rough, freckled forehead.  It's awesome.

Did you know that I don't have any comfortable jeans?  Well, I don't. Just the other day in the midst of a clothing crisis I vowed to lose those lingering 15 lbs of Chickie weight come hell or high water.  Speaking of high water-- most of my jeans are just a tidge too short, probably because they no longer "hang"-- they just stick. 

But don't worry, the diet didn't start immediately, which is good, because had I not gone for that late night dish of ice cream I would not have discovered that our fridge was broken. Having a broken fridge for five days sounds like a great diet-- but it's not because you find yourself trying to eat everything before it spoils. So the diet starts Monday, after the new fridge is finally delivered.

The morning after the fridge mishap John asked me if the sink was also broken.  I told him it wasn't and he explained that because there were no dishes in the sink he thought something must be wrong.  Really? Do I leave dishes in the sink that often?

So after the unforeseen expense of the week and after watching some crazy couponing show on TLC, I decided that I needed to start using coupons in order to save a little cash. I was actually contemplating coupons while I was in line at Super Target.  The checker (you know the one with the obscenely large cleft chin) was sooo slow and the woman in front of me had about $500 worth of groceries. After he completed her sale, she handed him a coupon for a free loaf of bread that she had forgotten to give him. By this time there were about five people behind me and I realized why sometimes you should just pay for the freaking loaf of bread. You might think the setting for this story should have been Wal Mart, but that just goes to show that the recession has affected everyone.

I'll be honest, I considered advertising this post on facebook just so someone would comment and make me feel interesting. I still might do it.  I have TONS of friends on facebook and they all find me interesting.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

you should totally advertise this on facebook because it is really funny. so that's something to feel good about.

Shay Brackney said...

You crack me up, Alyssa. Probably why I always feel like I "see" you - I love keeping up with your thoughts via the blog!

Anonymous said...

I find you interesting. In fact, I find you hilarious. I always enjoy your posts :)

Beth Freestone said...

Um I hate to be a "Jemison" but I think that was like 5 reasons....

I'm sure I have some jeans you can borrow (that I currently wear)!

My forehead is terrible. I need to start parting my hair on the other side so I can get even aging...

When are we going to Yogurtland?!

korie said...

That was way less than 14. And if you only have 15 to go. I'm so jealous!

MDougherty said...

You are one of few people that I LOVE to follow. SO when you are down and out you are NOT alone. You have an audience that just waits and waits and waits for your posts. :o) Sometimes we just REALLY suck at responding….. LOL

Mom said...

So, uhh, have you given any thought to what would make you feel confident? Somehow, I don't think it would be if you looked like one of those "housewives of somewhere other than Castle Rock. I love just who you are and who you are becoming.

Tommy said...

Ummmm...

Did you say something??