This evening I decided that I needed to do something to get into the holiday spirit and being the copy-cat that I am (Shay, Korie...) I decided to read some pertinent scriptures to my kids about Christ and Christmas. There is a list of 25 different passages to read every day in this month's issue of the Friend Magazine. If you want to know what they are just hop on over to Shay's blog at http://getkinetic.typepad.com because for some reason she is one of those amazing people that actually takes the time to copy the list for our use, make the scriptures have links, and manages to make it sound inspiring and doable all at the same time. Seriously, once you read Shay you see how simple my mind actually is... but come back, don't let Shay suck you in, I like your company.
Back to the point. I started to explain to my kids that this month we were going to do something different for stories before bed and before I could say any more John interrupted with, "I know what you are trying to do and I am not falling for it." I just looked at him in disbelief. Firstly, I was not trying to do anything hoping he would fall for it, and second, how did he know?
"You are trying to trick us and it's not going to work," he says.
"Trick you how? I just thought we could talk about Christmas-"
"I knew it! All that church Christmas stuff, I'm sick of it."
WHAT? As a parent I'm totally stumped because (don't tell anyone) we have not talked about the "church" Christmas stuff at all this year. Not even a little.
So as I get out my Bible and search for the passage to read for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (we have to catch up) John continues to refuse to listen. Sweet Kitty on the other hand says she wants to hear the church Christmas story. So I decide to read regardless of my audience. Long story short-- the misbehavior increases, my patience decreases and I end up yelling at them both to pay attention to the scriptures, or so help me. I don't think the true "reason of the season" was conveyed.
I guess I will have to be more creative in my trickery.
3 comments:
We really have to catch up I didn't even get to it tonight even after that LONG drive to the book store. Oh and I found my purse...and yes I am up at almost 2am. I just had to clean up this house of mine!
Tears rolling down my face from laughter, Alyssa...really...that John...he's a pistol! You are hilarious and I'm so glad you broke down and started to blog!
So my mother-in-law gave us a book this year called Christmas Treasury for Latter-day Saint Families by Lloyd D. Newell and
Karmel H. Newell It is so great it has short stories and quick scriptures, there are 25 of them so you read a couple of pages every night. It is so great I love it and it is even funner with hot chocolate at the kitchen table! You can get it at Deseret Book try it maybe John can be tricked by the pretty red cover! :) That is just way too funny! You deceiver you!!
Post a Comment