Thursday, December 18, 2008

Gonzo vs. Squidward


I was devastated this evening to learn that my kids had NO IDEA who the Muppets were. I had DVR'd the Muppet Christmas show and was confused by their less than enthusiastic reaction to my excitement about watching it tonight. They sat with blank stares as the show began.

Kitty: I like the girl one.
Me: You mean Miss Piggy?
Kitty: I like Mr. Froggy too.
Me: That's Kermit the Frog, you know that!
John: I like the one that looks mean and grouchy like Squidward.
Me: You mean Gonzo? Come on! You guys are acting like you don't know who these people are!
John: Who's that one?
Me: It's FOZIE BEAR for Pete's sake!!!

Once I regained composure I was able to calmly teach them (as I should have long ago) who each character was, except for the French shrimp guy who I don't remember from my youth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't remember the Sweedish Chef? :) I loved the Muppets. And we failed, too. My kids barely have any idea...

Alyssa said...

It wasn't the Swedish Chef-- it was a little red shrimp that spoke with a French accent. I think he must be a fairly new addition. At least within the last 25 years.

6Whittiers said...

Isn't that funny the things we feel like our kids will automatically know. The other night we decided to sing Jingle Bells together. Wyatt did not know it. I felt like a failure, then I decided to blame the school that is where we learned it even my older kids, but now it is a "Christmas" song and not allowed. So look you are a great mother pulling out the muppets no childhood is complete with out them!! :)