Why it's great to work from home:
- no driving in traffic
- flexibility
- you don't have to make friends with, let alone talk to, coworkers
- you can surf the web without having to click over to your Word document at a moments notice
Why it sucks to work from home:
- better things always come up
- screaming children in the background of important phone calls
- cringing when the phone rings
- not knowing any of your coworkers
- always feeling the nag of work
I should be grateful. I called my boss and asked if I could start working again after a 9 month hiatus. He lined me up right away. But this time he told me he would get me a cubicle and a computer so I could come in once a week. My heart stopped. Having my own cubicle means commitment. Commitment means responsibility and responsibility means anxiety.
Before John was born I suffered from some pretty bad anxiety surrounding my job. I had a real issue with feeling totally incompetent in my position. When it comes to archaeology I still feel like that.
I am pretty good at faking it. I think because I enjoy some aspects and not the rest. I am not passionate about it. I do not retain facts like my colleagues. I like the big picture. There is not enough big picture in a field dominated by minute details.
So I am trying again. It is a means to an end, not a way of life. That's what it is--a way of life for most of the professionals. I am content to sit at the computer and do the writing but don't ask me to commit my life to it.
3 comments:
I hope you will still have time for chik-fil-A, or is that too big of a commitment!!
Just realized I am clearly on Mike's lap top. Michael didn't say, it was me! Don't want you to get the wrong idea!
Exciting News!!
Hey, I just tried to send you an email w/ some pics (finally!!). It was an aol account, but it didn't make it through. Do you have a different email address!!! just let me know: linzlouhart@gmail.com Thanks!!
Post a Comment