So we are tightening our belts around here.
Oh how I wish that was literal... wouldn't it be great to tighten your belt for real?
But I digress, we are trying to save a little and make what we have go further. And guess what? It's not easy. Mostly because of my habits and ideas of what makes something special.
In short, something qualifies as special if it came from some place other than my home. Here are some examples:
Dr. Pepper- special if it comes from Sonic or a gas station fountain, boring if it comes from a can in my fridge.
Ice cream- special if it comes from Dairy Queen, McDonalds, or Chick-fil-a, boring if you have to scoop it from your freezer.
Tuna Sandwich- special from Subway, boring from my kitchen.
Low quality T-shirt- special from Target, boring from last year's wardrobe.
Jeans- I just want some that fit and are comfortable, I don't care where they come from.
The lesson I've learned?
My kids don't care if the ice cream comes from DQ, they just want ice cream. Dare I say it was MORE special having it at home?
My kids would rather have two hours of uninterrupted play time with me than any toy from Target (and can I tell you that I am embarrassed to say that was really difficult? But the joy it brought to Kitty while John and Jared went shooting was priceless).
So... it's not my kids who are making me spend needless money, once again this is my problem.
2 comments:
why is this totally true? to this day there is no need to buy a 2-liter root beer, the fountain is the acceptable form. may i add enchiladas out, special, made at home, not so much.
"Low-quality t-shirt." You crack me up. That's all I have lately- target specials. Hey- at least it's not from Wal-mart.
Post a Comment