Anyway with a new year, a newish baby, and the not so new softness around my middle, I decided to try the healthy route. I explored the Raw Food Detox Diet but decided that I like to mix my foods, heat them up, and actually eat them (therein lies the bulk of my problem). That's pretty much where my "journey" ended.
I started tracking my meals on My Fitness Pal, but after a day of what I considered epic self-restraint, I ended up in the red for nearly every category. So that journey ended as well.
The other morning I decided to make Kitty the "smoothie" she had been begging for. I have read a million and one smoothie recipes and felt confident I could make a healthy smoothie with nutrients that my kids would actually drink. Doesn't it seem like some people put all kinds of stuff in their smoothies and they turn out tasting great? I proceeded to throw in blueberries, orange juice, plain greek yogurt and ice. I wanted to do something daring, so I also put a handful of arugula. I wanted to add spinach, but all we had was arugula. I poured it and passed it out. I took a drink.
Dirt.
Kitty took a drink and gagged as she said, "I wanted a smoothie! You know, with ice cream and chocolate?" I explained that those are called milkshakes.
| Chickie prefers to snack on my hair. |
5 comments:
I'm with Kitty! :) Frank keeps making these "green" smoothies. Dirt...just like you said!
I give you and A for effort!
1) don't use greek yogurt. Use vanilla
2) get protein powder to add to it to make it healthy
3) orange juice is also good (did you say that)
4) frozen fruit works better. try mango and pineapple if you like those
5) spinach and kale both work well and you really can't taste them. I think arugula was your problem. Too bitter
6) Maybe you didn't want all this smoothie advise, but too late now.
And even more smoothie advice: put your greens in first with your liquid and blend until you can hardly see any green flecks, then add frozen fruit and a banana, and a little yogurt if you want (I usually leave it out and sometimes add silken tofu). Add a packet of stevia or splenda if you want it sweeter. Blend well. I've found that sweet fruits work best at masking the greens taste, like pineapple and mango. I love to add berries too. Also, make sure your greens are fresh and well washed. Yum! Enjoy!
I love how Emily has your hair in her mouth. All I have to say is that it is better than some strangers finger. LOL ;o)
Post a Comment