Thursday, April 25, 2013

Squelch their confidence-- my parenting style

A few weeks ago Kitty brought home a permission slip to audition for the school variety show.  I tried to put off filling it out for days, but she persisted. 
"What are you going to do anyway?" I asked with a real lack of enthusiasm. 
"Hula hoop!" 
"By yourself?"
She was so excited.  I was so apprehensive.
"I wish you would discourage her from doing this," Jared said on more than one occasion and I wholeheartedly agreed. 
"You're right," I should have said, "We really need to squelch this unfounded confidence before it gets out of hand."
That's the kind of parents we are-- realists who don't believe our children amount to much.

Kitty loves to play goalie on her soccer team.  I end up sitting on the sidelines cringing every time the ball comes her way.  I am not kidding, I'm wincing and flinching the whole time.  The thing is, Kitty is a pretty good little goalie.

We just got back from the hula hoop audition.  She did better than I expected and we find out on Monday if she made the cut.

As a side note, however, the music she hooped it up to was her favorite song: "Gone Daddy Gone" by the Violent Femmes.  Call me crazy but I don't think it's a very obscure song, but when the CD didn't play one of the teachers found a version on You Tube and when the song was finished everyone in the room was like, "I liked that song, who sings it?" and the guy says, "Gnarls Barkley" and I say "The Violent Femmes" at the same time. And everyone else was like, "Oh, the Violent Femmes did a version?" What?  Am I really the only one who knew that song even existed?

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Find said it is because we are old parents. Thanks finn. And boo to parents not raising their kids on the femmes. Although again, finn says dee lite has no place so clearly i too am failing as a parent.
And i feel the same way about goalie. I think it should be played by a hired hand. Or foot.

Meri Alyce said...

I happen to like both versions of that song :) and I love kitty's shoes too!