I spent at least three of my birthdays in the desert of Utah. It was a memorable way to celebrate my birth. I was usually dirty, stinky, grouchy, and exhausted, but when it came to my birthday my attitude shifted.My first birthday in the field was spent in the Hall's Creek Narrows of Capital Reef National Park. My feet were wet and I had sand in my shoes when Dr. J offered me a horse. I got on bareback and rode the rest of the way out (because it was my birthday). I even remember Dr. J's horse slipping on the rocks and my professor struggling to keep his cool, "Whoaa, Whoaa there". It was really funny. When we got to camp I hopped off the horse and immediately fell down. My legs gave out-- I wasn't used to riding for hours on end, or riding at all for that matter. I practically crawled into camp. When we got back to our base camp later that week, we celebrated both Dr. J's and my birthdays with cake and soda-- total luxuries.
This picture is from my second birthday in the field. This time we were at Paradise Flats, a remote section of the park full of jumping cactus. Curse you jumping cactus! We spent my birthday recording a massive panel of rock art. I think there were at least 45 images total. It is difficult to see in the photo but there is one image that looks just like a cake with candles, how ironic that it just happened to be my birthday!
My third birthday celebration in the field was a few years later when we were surveying the areas surrounding the Lampstand Ruins near Capital Reef. I remember Rich let us sleep in until 7:30 that morning. It was heavenly. We hiked up a huge hill and recorded a huge site on top. I walked to the edge and took a picture of myself. When we finished and climbed down to meet Lane's group they surprised us with a trip into Boulder, UT for milkshakes at Pole's Place. I couldn't have asked for anything better!
5 comments:
I think I have led a boring life. You were so adventurous (I don't even think I spelled that right). Remember when Connor and I picked you up from Field Camp and he kept saying you smelled like deer poop. That was funny!
You never cease to amaze me. Happy Birthday you amazing woman you!
Mmm, milkshakes in Boulder, Utah. You will have to join us at the cabin some time. We will be there in two weeks.
uuhhmmmm....
I am a little concerned about "Poles Place".
Anyway, hope you had a fun birthday this year, maybe you could even have a shower this time!
your post reminded me of the stories about the "eccentric" lady you lived with for awhile (which would provide great blogging stories)...and I think of the posts about bogda--you must have a force field around you
and that tbtn shirt also brings back the flood...remember the interpretive dance to a certain fave 80's song?
Post a Comment