
When we pulled into the cul-de-sac this afternoon our teeny tiny first-grade neighbor was out throwing his football in the air and catching it.
John was jumping out of the car before I was completely stopped.
"Hey, do you want to play catch with me?" John eagerly asked the kid that he rarely wants to interact with.
"No."
"Ok, well come and get me if you change your mind."
No reply.
"Hey, come get me when you want to play, ok? ok? ok?"
"K."
"I'm going to get my football for us to use when you want to play, it's really cool."
The neighbor disappeared into his house a few minutes later. John was totally ok with the whole exchange.
I was totally not.
I couldn't believe the gaul of that kid. I mean, really? Who better to play catch with than John?
Later, after we had gone in, I happend to look out the window to see our itty bitty neighbor playing catch with his sister. Really? It was all I could do not to yell out the window at him.
So what if your dad is a cop and never hesitates to remind me of that fact (sooo annoying)? So what if you are the same size as Kitty but the same age as John? So what if your dad drives me crazy telling me how smart you are (wow... you really memorized your lunch number? Wow, smart.)
Ok, so I'm the one with the rejection issues, not John.
3 comments:
Maybe the itty bitty first grader will grow up to be an itty bitty cop...just like his dad!! I think I have authority issues?
So, next time you go out and play catch with John and when the kid wants to play with you (which he will) then you ask John if he wants to play with him. John will have the upper hand and the kid will either know how he feels (no you can't play) or see an example of how to include others (sure you can play). Then you can "accidentally" throw it really hard at his face or something!
I agree with Beth but i would throw the ball towards his balls. Did I say that? I mean, make it so he can catch it... ;)
Post a Comment