

Bogda was on a rant again the other day. Our elementary school is in the process of obtaining IB Certification. If you are unfamiliar with the IB programme (yes, they spell it that way because that makes it more exotic) you can get no real information about it here. From what I can gather the programme (doesn't it look sophisticated?) focuses on analytical thinking and using our experiences to learn about the world and then somehow kids learn how to read, write, and do math (aka CORE curriculum) along the way.
Bogda's second grader has started a new IB Planner (aka "unit") in which the concept of "balance" is explored. The importance of balance in one's life will be examined through learning about a balanced diet, literal balance in science, and balance in our personal lives. Her homework has entailed bringing in an "artifact" of what balance means to her (no math, no reading, no writing). This week her homework is to record her healthy food choices and exercise for a week.
Bogda is up in arms. She is refusing to let her daughter do the diet homework because "what are they going to want to know next, the last time I went to the toilet?"
The concept of a balanced life is foriegn to my foriegn neighbor. It is obviously a concept I am not familiar with either. When my life is out of balance the first thing sacrificed is housework. So I took a few pictures to illustrate that balance is essential to a happy life. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I love living in it!

3 comments:
Do you think if we had studied balance in school instead of doing book reports, our housekeeping problems would be solved?
our balance issues are along the lines of:
S-G hit me
Me-why?
G-S hit me first.
Great. Fair and balanced?
I have to agree with Bogda on this one. I thought Kitty took those pictures for some reason.
Post a Comment