Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mummy love


Last month I felt super ambitious and confident that I could make a costume for John this Halloween.

Last week that ambition and confidence waned, but I was committed. As I was soaking, cutting and imagining the finished product, my confidence returned. This would be a piece of cake. I mean, how hard is it to make a mummy when my friend Sara was busily sewing Little Red Riding Hood?

I'll tell you how hard. HARD. Especially if you don't have the meticulous patience of a perfectionist. I eventually started slapping cheesecloth together and abandoned the needle and thread all together. That's right, the look was accomplished with spray-on adhesive, Spra-ment if you will.


I was afraid the finished product was going to be a shotty toilet paper-esque swamp thing. BUT... with a little blood and make-up, and here's the secret-- cheesecloth falling off everywhere-- the final product looked kind of cool.

Someone won Best Overall Costume at the ward Trunk-or-Treat!






Someone else did not.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a pretty sweet costume. Good job!

Shay Brackney said...

I am cracking up at the end photos...precious moments!

Beth Freestone said...

Holy cow! I would not recognize John! The costume is great and I'm so glad he won the prize. Poor Kitty, maybe next year!

korie said...

Way to go Martha!

Ford Family said...

Poor kitty. Sucks to be a "mummy's girl"!! Costume was awesome, you didn't have to admit to the spray adhesive you know. Me in all my perfection would have never known the difference!!

BTW...it's my only sweatshirt!

Tommy said...

nice work sis. i guess that means that you won first prize too. quite the homemaker you are. :)

News from the Craigs said...

LOL Kitty looks so much like you in this picture! Great work on John's costume, I knew you could do it!

Down in the Sun said...

Fun costume! Maybe next year can be Kitty's year!