Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Why do I try?

I have grand plans but inevitably fall short on the execution.

I spent the entire afternoon making candy to give to my neighbors. When I finally finished, I decided they didn't deserve any. Don't ask why, they just don't because I'm too tired.

Tomorrow I will deliver it... maybe.

I am tired of the unwarranted competition that goes on at this time of year. I don't necessarily seek it out, but seriously, when it gets thrown in your face it's hard not to react.

So if you are someone who got all the things done that you wanted to before Christmas-- good for you-- I don't want to know about it.

If your children are better than mine (mine are cuter)-- congratulations-- don't tell me about it in a form letter.

So take note:

I only want a newsletter that tells about all of your family's shortcomings. You know, the kind that will make me feel better about my situation.

If you are going to bring me a clever crafty gift it better not be made well. It better look like you made it. I want to see the flaws so I will feel better about giving away my sorry attempts at being creative and frugal.

Don't show me or tell me about how you made thirty of these homemade gifts in July in preparation for Christmas. Because if you do, I will proceed to tell you how I stayed up late the night before to make the same thing.

And aren't you bored with getting the same thing? What happened to ingenuity? It died with the internet. Suddenly everyone (including myself) has access to one person's creativity. Guess what? It's not creative, it's copying.
BAH! Humbug!

This is what happens when I am up four hours past my bedtime... making gifts I shouldn't be allowed to give away...

6 comments:

Robin said...

Were you really up until 1am making candy?? I'll eat your 'less than perfect' treats!
This time of year is completely tainted with the idea of a 'perfect' tree, or treat...and the list goes on. Take heart though, in just a few weeks we will be out of this vicious cycle! For a few months anyways.

Anonymous said...

I'll list some shortcomings I've had this holiday season. I made some treats this year for neighbors, but forgot to make some cookies I usually make. And I didn't make enough to pass out to everybody I would have liked to share with. I tried to wean my son from his binky. It didn't work. My house has been messy for about 2 weeks now. I just look at it and say, Nah, maybe later. I have clean laundry in some laundry baskets that I won't fold. We'll just pull things out of there as we need them instead. And we just may end up staying in our pajamas all day today. Why should we be getting dressed anyway? We're just gonna go and put the pj's back on at the end of the day. Oh yeah, and I think I've only made dinner twice this week. Oops.

Shay Brackney said...

Well, I should make you feel much better...

Refused to send out christmas cards this year...check

didn't make cute gifts for any of my friends....check

didn't brag about the perfection of my children (while Jake is currently in the background antagonizing Kenzie for the umpteenth time today and it's only 8:30 in the morning)....check

I am apparently your sould mate as far as friends go! :)

alana said...

I hate this season. Right there with you.
I look forward to your new year's post on resolutions.
Bah humbug
(the word verification is kindr - ironic)

korie said...

Darn it. I should UPS you some peanut butter balls so you could just lay on your couch next to your Christmas tree and eat them. That would make it all better. Merry Christmas.

Oh and I've been drinking my Hot Coco all year long that you gave me last year...

jennifer said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a while but today I think I'll actually comment because I'm kind of in a bah humbug mood.

I don't make gifts for my neighbors. I don't even really talk to them so I hope there is never an emergency where I need their assistance.

I don't make gifts for my coworkers either. I brought in cookies today but if they had turned out better and looked pretty I would have kept them for myself.

I didn't really decorate the house. We hauled in the boxes from the shed but they are still sitting in the kitchen. They will probably still be there in March.

When buying gifts for people, I find something they might like (hopefully on sale or at least free shipping), pick it, and stop agonizing over finding the perfect gift or worrying how it will be received. Sometimes, I'm not that concerned because some people on my list are way too hard to buy for and hard to please. That's their problem.

I did send out cards but they were premade on Shutterfly and you'll notice that yours had no personal note or even a signature and I used preprinted address labels so really, it was minimal effort on my part.

I do most of my shopping online because it's not the malls I hate but the people in them.

Our house is a mess. I hope no one ever stops by unannounced because I would be embarassed if anyone had to use the main bathroom. We haven't shoveled the recent snow and we didn't get all the leaves before winter hit. I have cooked a few meals at home but only because I'm trying to eat healthier and combat all the sweet treats. Plus the people I don't like at the mall are also at the restaurants.

Hanukkah is easier. Less stress and pressure. A menorah, latkes, maybe some homemade cookies, a few small gifts, and call it good. This year we bought Rock Band as a family gift and opened it about 3 weeks ago, didn't even wait. I'm looking forward to hibernating this weekend while everyone else is out.

Okay, this turned into a long post but I wanted to give you enough to feel better about. Miss you!!