Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bad attitude

Its hard to see but some of the people in this picture are good examples of what I'm talking about. Not my grandparents, and not really my parents (they didn't know any better). But really? The kids? Super annoying looking nerds that would irritate the crap out of me if I saw them today.


I've got to shake this bad attitude before the holidays get into full swing. So what better way than to vent on the blog?

**Disclaimer: you might not like me after this, if you are already up in the air regarding your feelings toward me, stop reading now.**

Yesterday I saw an average looking baby and thought to myself, "That kid is UGLY". Poor thing wasn't that ugly, I was just in that kind of mood. It's a good thing my kids are never ugly.

Ugly people used to really annoy my sister and me. I remember one day she called me from the Wilk at BYU complaining about the Afterglow-esque music (remember them? if you don't, just think popish, inspirational Mormon music) blaring and the ugly people that were really irritating her. Actually, I just realized that was before cell phones so she probably called me after the experience, not while it was happening. Ah, the olden days....

What is it about the holidays? The influx of people out and about increases the likelihood that you might see one or two (or 75) that just really look ugly. Let me clarify, the one's that really bug me aren't your run-of-the-mill uglies. They are average looking and actually have an air about them that gets under my skin. Words can't describe it. Maybe it's a sort of dorky, ugly person. Maybe their pants are just a hair too short. It could be their hair is stringy, or that they are (heaven forbid) wearing a Christmas sweater. It could be the way they are devouring their plates of food like an animal. It could be the volume of their voice, or their choice in vocabulary.

These people are usually the one's interviewed on the local news after a shooting, fire, car crash, drug bust, etc. They are the neighbors that describe what they saw in an uneducated, inarticulate manner. They tend to describe events in terms of the sounds they heard. For example, the guy with the missing teeth and greasy hair might describe the shooting as: "I was watching the TV when all of the sudden it was like, GAT! GAT! GAGAGAT!"

Just so you know, I am usually very tolerant and willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I usually try not to be too judgemental, but about once a year the bottled up feelings get the better of me and I have to stay away from WalMart for the safety of myself and the uglies.

9 comments:

korie said...

Is it because I didn't call you first?? I told you I never expected her to answer.

Just kidding! I don't want to offend anyone here! :) I know how easy that is right???

But no, really we all think things like this. We've all had those "did I say that out loud" moments.

By the way where where you shopping?? If it was Wal*mart then you were just asking for it.

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me smile. And I'm not offended, nor do I dislike you because of what you wrote. I think everyone feels this way sometimes.

Beth Freestone said...

We must have bad attitude genes. At times like this you MUST stay away from WalMart or places where Moms you don't know (but they know each other) congregate and talk about stupid things and you just want to scream, "shut up you idiot!". Did I just write that out loud? By the way, I think I was wearing leggings (or leggins as Brady calls them) in that picture. Suuuuweeeet!

alana said...

You so make me LAUGH!! Good thing you didn't see me today .. I would have made this blog.

Unknown said...

To further your daily dose of "uglies" as you call them, you must check out www.peopleofwalmart.com

'nuff said

Tommy said...

by the way, do you notice how i may have been flexing my arm a little? maybe... showing off my huge guns...waiting for all the ladies to come out of the woods...rescue me from my family picture time...

Cara said...

Justin and I talk about this a lot to! Esp. when were watching cops or something!
And come to think of it I to have been making the 30 min. drive to go to Target just so I dont have to go near our Wallie world!!! Just never never go at night!!!

News from the Craigs said...

And here I thought I was actually pretty cute in this picture... Must be a symptom on ugliness, thinking you look good when in reality you dont...

Elise said...

Oh man oh man_ i've been outta blog-touch for a while, cuz all my blog list are on our broken upstairs computer. I just read a few pages of yours- You kill me. You are too funny, and brutally honest, and thats definitely a fine trait to have.
You definitely know peopleofwalmart.com right? I fear that one day, ill go out in my sweats cuz I don't care and wind up on that site.

And the truth is, there really are a bunch of ugly babies out there. My son Evan was a seriously ugly baby, til he was about four months old. Of course I didnt realize that until much later.......