Monday, August 30, 2010

A real solicitation for advice.

Here's the thing...
We are struggling with bedtime in a major way around here.  John gets fixated on the fact that he can't sleep and won't let himself fall asleep.  Then once asleep he wakes up screaming from bad dreams and won't go back to sleep until I snuggle with him.  I feel like the mother of a newborn-- I've been up with him at least 5 times a night for the past week.

And it's not just at bedtime.  The irrational fear is creeping into our everyday life too.  He asks me to accompany him to the bathroom "just to get started" and so I can check behind the shower curtain.  He won't venture into any part of the house alone.  He usually asks Kitty to go with him.

I've discussed it with our pediatrician, counselor, and psychiatrist.  They have all said the same thing, "Yeah.  That's the anxiety and OCD manifesting itself..." They have made suggestions.  We have tried them and are still struggling.

Just so you don't duplicate here is a run-down of things we have already tried:

Conducting a "room inspection" to make sure everything is safe before turning off the light.
Turning up the sound machine to drown out any other noises.
Bringing the dog in to sleep with and protect him.
Sleepy time tea.
Hot shower before bed.
Letting him read until he gets tired enough to fall asleep (ie. 12 am)
Writing a list of "good thoughts" to choose from.
Praying (usually with the "please bless me to fall asleep instantly" caveat).
Letting him sleep in my bed.
Yelling.
Letting him have a melt down in his room (aka the "cry it out" method).

Help.

7 comments:

Jaime said...

Have you tried taking him to a psychologist, specifically a bahaviorally oriented psychologist? Msg me-I can try to get you a good name of someone local if you are interested.

Beth Freestone said...

I agree with Jaime. You need someone to take you, John and his issues seriously. It seems like everyone (not you guys) is assuming it is just a phase but I think this is beyond being scared of the dark. In the meantime maybe try totally wearing him out right before bed? Tickling him until he can't breathe and passes out?! Maybe not....

kacy faulconer said...

Sometimes not getting enough sleep changes their personality a bit--it makes them more needy, whiny, and paranoid. You might find he'll do better once he sleeps better. That's the trick though, right? Healthy Sleep Happy Child is the best book I've ever read on sleep.

Beth Freestone said...

Oops. I better return your book!

Jaime said...

oops I better learn to spell "behaviorally"

sevenchicksandaguy said...

night light
dream catcher
i always thought the supper nanny had great advice for sleep issues
have you tried googling?
push back & fold up the shower curtain
he's such a great kid, i think you do such an awesome job!

Photography by Wendy said...

I thought my little one was the only one afraid to go in the bathroom alone. I worried about Kindergarten, but it's no longer an issue. Good luck with the professional. I've heard the more routines before bed the better, although it can feel like more things to do which are not "going to bed." For kicks you can try "Go away monster spray" Any spray bottle will do filled with water. My girls like to spray their pillows with the essential oil lavendar because it is said to have a calming effect. I hope you can find the magic feather just like Dumbo. And I loved seeing the wedding photos. Your hair is so long!