Saturday, November 26, 2011

Trying to be the fun mom always backfires

Sometimes I try to redeem my status as a mother.  These are the days when I let Kitty help me make cookies, I consent to play a game of Sorry! or UNO, I say yes to dessert, I let John make a "potion", or I remember Chickie and take her out of the car.  These things are hard for me, I don't know why, but they are.

My latest attempt has been in the form of a new holiday tradition that I guess everyone else already knew about-- Elf on a Shelf. I forked over the massive amount of cash for the "kit" which consists of a cute-ish vintage looking elf and a story book.  For the money I thought the elf would at least have bendable limbs, but alas, it is more authentically vintage than you would think.  Anyway, the elf watches all day and reports back to Santa each night. He/she can't move when anyone is watching and the touch of a human will destroy its magical powers.  Fun, right?

Kitty was first to notice it, we got excited, read the book and decided on the name Winkie.  But after about five minutes Kitty got all skittish and started jumping at the slightest noise. Then there were tears, screaming, and the shakes. Then came the demands that I accompany her everywhere.  She was thoroughly freaked out by the thought that Winkie was alive and watching her every move. Fun mom fail.

Luckily by morning she was used to the idea and now I am stuck with the job of moving Winkie every once in a while to keep it fresh-- it's more work than you'd think, and Winkie is kind of starting to freak me out with her crazy eyes.

3 comments:

Down in the Sun said...

That is one tradition that I can not do. The elf freaks me out! Hope Kitty gets used to it and that you have the endurance to keep moving it around for the next few weeks. (I know that I would forget!)

jennifer said...

Seriously, you could write a book or take your act on the road. I laugh out loud every time I read your blog.

Unknown said...

that whole fun mom thing always backfires. Better to just be mean mom. Then everyone knows what to expect and nobody is disappointed. I mean, except for maybe the kids.