Saturday, February 14, 2009

I have been feeling the need write an actual post all week but have come up short on inspiration. It's like when Kumar (from the one of the best movies of all time, Bottle Rocket) says, "I lost my touch man, I lost my touch..." and Dignan says, "Man, you never had a touch to lose!"

I lost my touch.

But since it's Valentine's day I thought I would write a few things for the sake of my posterity.

I met Jared at church, he was the best looking, best dressed person in the ward. I later found out his wardrobe was a direct result of his job at Banana Republic.

Before I ever knew him he held the door for me and I froze. All I could muster was, "I like your shoes" before I ran away.

Another time he hosted a service project at his apartment and made waffles for everyone. I crossed his path just as I was throwing my half eaten waffle away. Again I froze and stammered on about how it wasn't that the waffle was bad... He just looked at me like I was an idiot.

After our first official conversation he brought me a lime to add to my water. A few days later, I returned the favor and the rest is history.

I love that what you see is what you get with him, he's never been one to fake it. He has an opinion but isn't afraid to change it once in a while. I love how he is willing to stand up for the little guy. He is loyal-- to a fault.

Jared loves to help and serve others. I remember once we were walking into Village Inn and there was an elderly couple walking to their car. Jared ran ahead and escorted the woman with her walker and then helped her into the car. I would never have thought to do that.

Another time a woman tripped and fell in front of us at the airport, Jared ran ahead and asked if she needed help up and if he could get her something to drink.

The best story of all is when Jared saved baby deer.

We were driving on 9th East in Provo and were stopped at a light to turn left when all of the sudden he jumped out of the car and ran across traffic. I was screaming at him to get back in the car. Not only had he been driving and left his door wide open, but we were on a street notorious for its auto-pedestrian accident statistics. Then I saw what the problem was-- a deer had tried to jump over a tall metal fence and her hind leg was caught.

Jared and a passing bike rider freed the deer, carried her across the busy street and let her down in the adjoining neighborhood. She ran away, but we like to think she comes to see us every once in a while.

2 comments:

Trixie said...

I love that movie! Your "how you met Jared" story is very sweet!

The Harts said...

Hey Alyssa,

Lindsay and I love the blog. Thanks for letting us in on it:) We are proud to now be connected to the Wrights. I had to laugh really hard when reading this post because I remember when all of this happened. Jared may not have told you this but he mentioned you to me after church the first Sunday we saw you, and said he thought you were a hottie! I'm sure you may not have gotten that idea, given his demeanor being a well dressed, emotionally underdeveloped, sexually confused champion of the underdog, but he really did have his eye on you desde el principio!

You should tell the story about how he took care of you in the hospital some time to convey his astute level of compassion. During that time I began to realize that Jared really did have tender and optimistic feelings, not only towards animals, mostly geckos, deer and puppies, but also humans.

He's a keeper and a war hero to boot! You are fortunate to share a home with him, that honor was mine during the 2000 school year! If you ever get a chance to backpack through Europe with him, he makes a pretty good companion and do-gooder.

Ask him about chasing down a poor Gypsy vagrant in Cordoba, brandishing a pocket knife, and threatening to cut him. In our defense, we thought the guy had just assaulted two elderly female German tourists and stolen their bags. Turns out, it was just some homeless Italian drug addict looking through the discarded bag looking to score a buzz off of some prescription meds. Oh boy, those were the days!

Take care guys!

PS. We are probably coming to Denver this summer. I’ll give you a call with the details! Hopefully we can hang!

-Blake