Thursday, December 10, 2009

Does half-way count?


I always have great ambitions going into the Christmas season. I heard some author explain Christmas as the illusion of the possibility of perfection. I think that sums it up.

This will be THE year.

I will decorate my house like a winter Christmas wonderland.

I will actually put up both trees, one with super fancy, coordinated decorations, ribbons and sparkles, and the other with our family ornaments.

I will get a real garland, or better yet, make my own from fresh cut greens... can you smell it?

I will spend cold, snowy days happily making cookies with my kids (I'm wearing an apron).

I will start at least three new family traditions.

My house will be warm, clean and smell of cookies and garland for the entire month.

I will come up with some great, creative, homemade gift to give all of the teachers and neighbors.

This will be the year I entertain friends and family for a Christmas get together at my house, I'll even break out the Christmas dishes that are still in their packages.

I think of all of these things in November. In December the reality hits and it all seems so exhausting.

I'm sitting here looking at my tree with decorations scattered around 2/3 of the circumference. You don't need to decorate the part against the wall, right?

6 comments:

Yo said...

I love it!! and I totally concur!

Tommy said...

it is time to face the facts sis. you are normal.

Robin said...

If we left our christmas decorations up all year or even six months then I think it wouldn't be soo exhausting for us. The worst part for me is knowing I have to take everything down, box it up, and look at non-decorated house. So YES...half-way does count!!

Elise said...

Look how very Jackie-O you are!

korie said...

I won't see the back...

Jaime said...

Totally! It was too much working on getting a photo printed for cards, so with cards signed and labeled, they will sit in the closet until next year. Its the first year in 13 we have not sent out any and i think i have a new christmas trend...