I always loved and admired my Grandmother's rag rugs that were made by her mother. The rugs were starting to fall apart and so she and my aunt unraveled them and now looking at the balls of fabric are just as enjoyable as looking at the rugs themselves. I have been wanting to make my own rug out of scraps I had on hand and I finally did it.
And now you can too--
Rag rug tutorial:
First rip strips of fabric and then start crocheting them in a circle. When you get to the end of a strip just tie the next one on. Get about halfway through your fabric and decided that tying all the strips together isn't working out. Unravel what you've done so far. Sew all the ends of the fabric strips together. Start to crochet again, in what you think might make a circle. Finish the rug, put it in the bathroom and look at how uneven and uncircular it is every day for a week. Take it all out again. Let your children play with all the fabric and get it severely tangled. Untangle it and start over in what you now think might be an oval. Finish it and call it good.I want to make another, bigger, more colorful one, but I don't know that I can make the shape consistent-- that's the hardest part for me. I can make something once, but duplication is impossible.
6 comments:
Wow that is really cute! And I'm not just saying that! So cute. Good job!
That's cute! Good job! It looks like an oval to me. And at least you had the patience to start it over again. If I had to do that, I probably would have just said, "Forget about it, I quit!"
you should write tutorials professionally.
Whoa whoa whoa. When have you been doing this? I think it is awesome...
Wow! I love the rug and I appreciate the try-try-again tutorial.
It looks great Lyssa - I love it!
Post a Comment