Friday, February 5, 2010

The thrill of the thrift.

A friend of mine just updated her FB status to say something about looking forward to going to the fancy thrift stores in Highlands Ranch tomorrow. That status spoke to me in more ways than one.

First of all, the other night I had a dream that I got a job at Saver's and I had to live there. I got the job because I thought it would be great to get the first pick of all the stuff, little did I know I would be working for a slimy boss who was selling all the good stuff on the side.

Secondly, her status reminded me of my own Goodwill of Highlands Ranch (really Littleton, aka the old Albertson's) experience last month. Does this ever happen to you? You walk in to a huge store full of crap and once you get used to the smell (why do they all smell that way?) you begin to go through things. And once you've been going through the racks of clothes thinking to yourself, "where is all the cool vintage stuff everyone else seems to find?" the store starts to trick you. You see a cardigan that has a Gap label and automatically think, "oh, I should get this." Who cares that it's the tennis sweater everyone had in 7th grade, it's the Gap and it's at Goodwill. Then you look and see the blush pink LEATHER skirt for $8. And you catch yourself seriously considering it because it's leather after all. When you move on to the knick-knacks you think to yourself, "if I painted this it might work as a..." Don't worry, I usually end up talking sense into myself and leaving empty handed. Unless they have old Pyrex, which hardly ever happens probably because the slimy boss sells it on the side.

So then as I'm thinking about thrift stores my mind falls to the good old days-- college. The days when grunge was in and you could find anything cool at DI or Saver's. Remember my warm wool coat with the fur collar? Those were the days when I would sit on the floor waiting while Mark looked through every pair of khaki pants to find a pair that fit. His philosophy was that if you only had khakis you wouldn't have to worry about matching your clothes everyday. Those were the days when you could find awesome 70s style old man clothes, now they're all from the 80s and 90s.

Someday I'll find the magic piece of clothing, furniture, and Pyrex, then I too can stand in line for Antiques Roadshow beaming with pride as they tell me my treasures are worthless.

4 comments:

Beth Freestone said...

Forget the pants, what about the tummy!? I finally cleaned out my closet a year or two ago and took my old thrift store cardigans, sweaters, etc. back to Goodwill. Maybe you saw them. I saw a documentary on Kurt Cobain a few weeks ago and was remembering grunge when you could wear stuff like that and look cool. Those were the days.....

alana said...

SO funny ... you have a lot of cool dreams huh?

Yo said...

I love your posts - too funny!!

Jaime said...

Love it! You and Jack...Jack still talks about Savers like it is paradise. When we go on vacation , he loves to hit up the local thrift stores--"just in case."
"But Jaime, it's from Banana Republic!"

And reading Beth's comment made me laugh because we went to this RU Battle of the Bands (no comment please) and we had a moment when we looked across the stage and everyone looked like Kurt Cobain. So apparently, those days are back!