Friday, March 27, 2009

A heavy dose of the blahs.


It all started when I saw the weather forecast this morning. No real sun or warmth for the next 7 days. This is why I hate March. It always fools me. I've lived in Colorado for most of my life you would think I would be adjusted to the seasonal indecision that is spring. It throws me every time and here I am trying to deal.

We went to Chick-fil-a to get out of the house.

Just when I think I can take John to a play place he proves me wrong.

I am so tired. Tired and confused.

It's difficult when the line of what is socially acceptable and what is worth the fight becomes blurred. I know it's not right but I am tired and wish that someday it would be ok for two kids to just duke it out and get on with it. Instead we feel the need to get involved, say mean things to other people's children (John and I are usually on the receiving end) and make everyone more angry, sad, and upset.

I do not condone violence, but unfortunately I produced a son that has difficulty figuring out anything different. I hate that he gets frustrated and hurts others. I wish he wouldn't. Bogda says he just acts the way everyone wants to but knows that they can't. She loves that about him.

I call it a lack of impulse control and I worry because you don't get through life very easily without learning the art of impulse control.

Today he was provoked. Even after the incident the girl was provoking him by sticking out her tongue at him through the window. Her parents were oblivious to her behavior, but not to John's reaction. Don't get me wrong, there are instances where his behavior goes unprovoked, but at least today I could understand his anger.

I don't know what to do with this 5 year old that looks like an 8 year old with the impulse control of a 2 year old.

I just wish some parents wouldn't flip out... it makes me sad because I'm doing the best I can.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Sounds like you had a rough day--sorry. Chik-fil-a: oh how you deceive us... you are closed on Sundays, you give great kids meal toys, and yet trips there always seem to end in chaos. We found this book in the church library from the 50's about raising boys--and while we scoffed, I wonder if bringing back some old-fashioned parenting notions wouldn't be so bad.

Mansell Six said...

That is to bad. Sorry it ended up not to fun...Next time I will really push you to come sledding!

Cindy said...

My heart aches for you and John. I wish that people with verbal meanness had some outward mark so we could avoid them. I wonder if I had a shirt or a bracelet that said I'm doing my best, if they would think before they spoke, probably not. They would probably think that pointing out my parenting problems was helpful.

Shay Brackney said...

I am so sorry, Alyssa. You're a great mom and that assertiveness that John has will do him well one day when he's older and can channel it -- its served me well overall...as for dumb people...well..too bad we don't have a fix for them. He who has no sin...right? Sorry it was one of those days.

Elise said...

The playplace with Evan was also very interesting for us. He also wanted to tackle kids and then just sit on them. He just didn't get why other people didn't like it. What really gets under my skin is when some other stranger parent tries to parent your child. That always riles me up, i'm like don't address my kid, talk to me Beyotch! i will do the parenting here.