Thursday, March 26, 2009

In it for the long haul

I knew the snow was coming this morning despite the blue sky at 8 am.

I knew, not because the meteorologists predicted it (they were actually right this time), but because Jared started scurrying around at 4 am.
He works nights, so it is not uncommon for him to be up in the night going to Wal*Mart, but this morning was different. He was behaving as if we would be shut in for a month.
He went and filled up the truck, the car, AND the propane tank.
He went to the grocery store and stocked up on meat, vegetables, and hot dogs.
He went to Wal*Mart and purchased games, toys, and a movie for the kids. He even got them a snow brick maker.

When he finally returned home (still blue skies) he insisted in driving everyone to John's dental appointment in Highlands Ranch. He insisted after I refused to cancel the appointment based on the mere "possibility" of snow.

When he saw a squirrel digging through the snow for food, he ran out and left a pile of squirrel food on the bird bath for him.

The barometer triggered Jared's survival instinct and he responded.

Meanwhile, the barometer plays it's tricks on me too. Being snowed in makes me feel homey and I always try my hand at domesticity. Thanks to my friend Stacey, I made cinnamon rolls for the first time. They turned out soooo good! I've had four.
I felt like a good mother because I let John and Kitty drink hot chocolate after they came in from the sub-zero blizzard. Kitty said, "If I was the mom I would make hot chocolate too."

1 comment:

News from the Craigs said...

Can Jared buy all the supplies I need to survive in college??? Books, food, clothes, entertainment, pens...