Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another random rant

Ok, so here it is...

I am not a professional dancer. The closest thing to "technique" for me is if the ballerina has pointed toes and good posture. I do, however, find myself watching all of these dancing shows, and I don't really know why.

While watching So You Think You Can Dance this evening I found myself asking this question:

If the choreography tells a story, why then do you have to tell it to me in words first? And why does the choreography have to tell a story?

I am a big believer that if you are trying to tell a story through a dance you should let the dance tell the story and communicate the meaning for you (but NOT by acting out the meaning of the songs words like touching your eyes for the word "see").

Instead it's like, "this dance is about a couple who has been fighting for the past 6 months and they are on the verge of divorce when his mother comes to live with them and their daughter develops a rare disease. The family is forced to struggle through this difficult time despite the wife's alcoholism and the husband's torrid affair."

Then you watch the dance and think to yourself:

Hmmm... that looked like a robot freak show to me.

I feel the same way about "themes" in decorating-- don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good theme like the rest of them, but I don't think every single room needs a theme (unless, of course, the theme is "jumbled mess" for obvious reasons). I don't know how to explain this without hurting anyone who has a theme room/house feelings. So I won't really try.

Suffice it to say I like subtlety. You shouldn't have to tell me how cool you are-- if you were really cool I would have figured it out on my own. Get it?

4 comments:

alana said...

Got it. (..sigh of relief..) cause i don't think i have any themes goin' on in my house. Wait, oh crap .. I just put my 4th of July junk out.
Your dance stuff cracked me up. Sunday I will do a dance for you .. but tell you about it first. From the pulpit would be good. Then I'll probably sing .. but you can play the piano while I do that.

Ford Family said...

This is about me, isnt it?? I'm sure you have been tying to figure out the right words to express just how "cool" I am. Subtlety, I get it!!!

Cindy said...

You have the best sense of humor. Too bad I missed the robot freak show dance. I am sure I was out doing something really cool. Oh wait, is that the same thing as saying how cool I am?
By the way, I call my decorating theme "kid-toy-obstacle-course".

Jaime said...

you have to (HAVE TO HAVE TO) watch America's Best Dance Crew...the best possible dance show ever in existence. And you will know how cool you are not, after you've watched...