The other day I was waiting for the 11 am news to come on (really I was) and I caught the end of The View. Lionel Richie was performing his classic "Dancing on the Ceiling". It was like a bad accident-- I couldn't turn away. I sat engrossed and embarrassed. Is this really what the '80s were all about? Meaningless pop lyrics? And why, oh why, was the entire audience on their feet screaming? I don't know anyone who loves that song-- why not sing "Say You, Say Me", "Hello", or "Three Times a Lady"?
Worse still-- I can't get that stupid song out of my head, I woke up in the night with it echoing through my mind. What does dancing on the ceiling really mean? Is it a song about drugs? I always wonder that when I don't understand something. It must be about drugs.
3 comments:
Stop! You can't hate it now--it just means we are getting old. Or did you hate it then too? Oh-what a feeling!!
Thanks I hadn't thought about those songs in a long time. Now if I wake up singing them tonight I'm gonna call you.
'people were starting to climb the walls'.. yeah, I agree - maybe it's all about the drugs. I know, maybe you have to BE on drugs to like the song?
Post a Comment