Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summer Break part 2


I am finally off my crutches and can hobble around for the most part. I am still catching up on housework-- but at least I got to vacuum. That was one thing I regretted almost instantaneously after my sprain. "Why didn't I vacuum this morning, oh why?" So with the floors vacuumed I can finally move on to bigger and better things, like the kitchen.


Last week I took my kids to WalMart for some groceries and a sprinkler. Before we left I knew what this outing meant-- I would have to swallow my pride and get a motorized cart. Everything went well, we got the cart, the kids took turns riding on my lap and we got everything accomplished. I felt confident and reassured that I could do it again if needed.


A few days later I decided to try Target. This time I didn't have my kids but I felt confident I could pull off the cart again. I didn't anticipate that the Target cart was going to be quite a bit smaller. I plopped myself down and backed out of the parking space. The reverse signal (beep...beep...beep) was loud and jarring. Everyone around me stopped and looked. I totally felt like the "wide load" joke.


With my knees up to my elbows I sped away. As I was zooming down the main aisle I came up to a family going the same direction as I was. They maintained the same stride as my cart's speed. For some reason that bothered me, why wouldn't they slow down or speed up so I didn't feel like we were in a race? So I faked left and went right down the next aisle just to avoid them. I picked the wrong aisle, it was one with a support beam. I tried to slow down and came to an abrupt halt. Because I didn't want to back up again I slowly squeezed the cart through the narrow passage. By this point I was stressed out and feeling a little less confident.


I finally got everything I needed (without having to back up), and returned the cart to its charging station. I think the difference is that in WalMart it was crowded, I wasn't the only one in a motor cart, and I had my kids. At Target it was quiet, everyone could hear me coming and therefore, turned to look, and I didn't even fit in the cart itself.


So... lesson learned, I can handle WalMart in this one instance better than Target. At WalMart no one cares about your differences because there's such a variety of people anyway. If you are different, or freakish in some way, don't go to Target.

4 comments:

alana said...

OH MY GOSH .. I am totally cracking up with this post Alyssa!!!! Okay, so can we go to Target with you this week? Maybe you can get in the regular cart and I'll push you around!!
You are so polite "variety of people in Walmart". Is that what that's called??
Let's go to the pool soon .. I'll push you in!

Ford Family said...

Does that mean I am in someway more superior than others just by choosing to shop at Target? Who would have thought Target would be the next Macy's?

korie said...

The tittle summer "break" part "2" worried me a little. I was hoping you didn't break something else. At least you can go into Walmart with out having to wear a bullet prof vest. We can't even shop at Walmart here. If you can believe it the "variety of people" is 100 times worse here. Target is a safe haven.

Robin said...

Soo funny Alyssa!! If I'm laughing when I see you it's cause I have the image of you backing up at target!! :p Beep! Beep! Beep! LOL...wish I was there with you!