He loves to trim and cut down entire trees.
He does not love to clean up afterwards.
After one particularly bad autumn snow storm we had to cut down four trees in our backyard. It took until the following spring to get rid of all the branches. I was beside myself. I even threatened to call in reinforcements from church. That didn't motivate him to get the branches out of the yard, it just made him mad.
What finally got us moving at break-neck speed to get rid of all the branches, trunks, etc? The city sent around a truck to collect everything on one day only (see, we weren't the only one's who lost trees in the storm).If it hadn't been for the city, Bogda would surely be whittling away at our outrageous wood stockpile. Come to think of it-- she was there that day stealing kindling for her fire.
The point is that Jared cut down the Russian Olive in our front yard on one of his chainsaw escapades. I hated that tree, it was scraggly and trashy. We got the wood cleared rather quickly for some reason I can't remember, but the stump stayed exposed for all the world to see. I hated that stump.Bogda hated that stump.
So one day we got to work with our pick-axes digging around it. We worked for months hacking away at the roots of that stump. We couldn't get even a slight budge from that firmly rooted beast.
Some days I would come home to find her in my yard working on the stump. On a particular day when we had both worked on it (Bogda more than me), I took a break and ran to get some milk or something from the store.
Upon my return my car was met by all the neighborhood kids cheering and shouting. I rolled down the window and they told me she had done it! Bogda got it out!
I pulled in to see that not only had she worked the stump loose, but she had rolled it up the hill.
This is my quintessential Bogda story. I joke with the neighbors about how she lifted my stump out with one hand and threw it up the hill.
3 comments:
Bogda is my hero!
Bogda is my hero!
Seriously -- I now think I need to meet this woman!
Post a Comment