Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Idiot Housekeeping Part 2

Get ready for the next installment of my housekeeping questions that require you to comment with your answers.

I want the truth.

If anyone is like me they want to answer with what an ideal situation would be instead of what is real. In order to be scientifically accurate, I need your reality.

While I was growing up (my sisters can attest to this-- especially Beth, Meri never had chores) one of the worst offenses you could commit would be to take clean clothes out of the dryer and leave them heaped in a basket in the laundry room. This would make our mother furious. She would launch into a tirade about everything being "permanently wrinkled".

Secretly I would always question her logic. Isn't that what an iron is for? How can something be permanently wrinkled if you can iron it, or wash it all over again, thus removing the wrinkles? No article of clothing was ever lost to "permanent wrinkles".

So my questions are:
  • How do you deal with clean laundry? Do you fold your clothes as you get them out of the dryer, or do you throw them into a basket to be folded at a different location?

  • And if you have children do you make them fold and put away their own clothes?

  • When do you do your laundry? Once a week on a specific day, or several times a week?

  • How do you sort it?

  • Do you do sheets and towels on the same day as clothes, or do they have their own designated day?
I have found that folding right out of the dryer works best for me, but I do spend more time in my creepy laundry room than I would like this way.
p.s. Don't you just love the picture? I found it here.

6 comments:

alana said...

ditto on the dryer .. I HATE HATE HATE to iron. Therefore to avoid that chore I fold them as they come out of the dryer. If I'm too late I turn the dryer on again -kinda like an automatic iron!
I know most people have a specific laundry day. Wish I were that organized. I do laundry at random usually when someone complains about running out of clean clothes. Towels, same thing .. when we are low - in they go. Sheets ...once a week .. or for the kids every other week. (they don't seem to mind that I do mine more frequently!)
My kids put their own clothes away .. the boys that is. I fold them and put them in their room and they do the rest. Hayley has been doing laundry - all of it .. wash, dry, fold, put away... since she was in the second grade. This came to be after one morning when she came out wearing the same clothes she did the day before. I informed her she couldn't do that. Her response "WELL, if SOMEONE around here would do MY laundry I would HAVE something different to wear". My response .. taught her to do her own right at that moment. Haven't touched her since.

Shay Brackney said...

Too funny. Confession time...Frank took over the laundry some time ago...I know, I know...I can never, ever, ever complain about him to any girlfriend...even when he drives me crazy...with that said...when I used to do laundry...

I had a whole system, but mostly it involved taking it out of the dryer and dealing with it immediately...I would lay out all clothes to be hung on hangers and fold all clothes for drawers.

Yes, I did clothes, towels, sheets all at one time. I would do a 12-hour marathon once a week.

The kids do take care of their own clothes and do put their own clothes away and have since Jake was about 7 and Kenzie was 4'ish.

Don't even ask me about sorting...really...I don't share my OCD with just anyone! :)

Jaime said...

I secretly dream of using a fold-n-fluff service, and until that can happen, I use my guest bedroom bed as a sort of "closet of all sizes." Can't find something clean to wear in your dresser? Check the "closet."

Tommy said...

ummmm, i usually dont do laundry. When I have, i just separate darks and lights and then I only have 2 loads. I fold before I put the clothes away - which may not be the same day. I didnt know people wash their sheets and towels! Whats up with that?!

Anonymous said...

I do laundry when we start to run out of clean items. This is probably every week and a half. then I do all the laundry at once and make a day of it. I seperate clothes into darks, whites, and kids clothes. Sheets get washed together, and towels are seperated by red, and then everything else. I don't care if clothes come out of the dryer immediately. And I don't iron. All of Cliff's dress clothes go to the dry cleaner. (I know, what a great wife I am huh?)If I need something ironed, and being thrown back into the dryer for a few minutes won't do it, then I'll iron it. But only as a last resort. I also own a steamer, and I will use it before I iron too. On a good laundry day, I will take a basket of clean laundry from the dryer to the family room and watch tv while I fold. Then I put the clothes away and start over again. But sometimes, I don't get to the putting away, and I have a basket of folded clothes sitting on my bedroom floor for a couple of days. Sometimes I don't even get to the folding, and then I have a heap of unfolded laundry in a basket sitting on my bedroom floor, until I get around to folding them. I can't put away laundry unless it's folded. I simply can't do it. I realize that my system is severely flawed, but I strive for the good laundry days, and it works for me.

News from the Craigs said...

HEY!!! I DID DO CHORES!!!!(and still do mind you!) And mom still gets mad at me if I leave the clean clothes in a basket or on the couch etc... Believe it or not big sister but I do my own laundry and I seperate them according to color and texture. For example, I put the whites or light colors that are cotton together and towels together in another load and jeans by themselves unless I am pressed for time and then I put dark cottons with them. As for the dryer situation, I fold them usually and I stress usually as they come out or at least with in the same day...